Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I have seen the Blogger's Quilt Festival on many of the blogs I read and decided that this is the year I would try it for myself. I have been "making things" most all of my life and decided to try my hand at longarm quilting 5 years ago. I think I have found my creative place. When I first started I was scared that I wouldn't know what quilting designs to use, now I see designs as the third and final layer of the quilt's big picture!!
This past summer I was part of McCall's Quilt Design Star contest. This quilt "Created to Complete" is my interpretation of Opposites Attract, the theme in the final challenge round.
My husband and I are total opposites--but together we complete each other. Blue and Orange are opposite each other on the color wheel, yet together they complement each other perfectly!!!
My husband's side of the quilt--very structured and predictable--log cabin block in a Field and Furrow setting is perfect for my farmer husband.

 A freeform hand drawn random circle design is perfect for my sometimes CreativeADD mind!!!


Yet together it works just as it was meant to!! CREATED TO COMPLETE
Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy yourself on this Quilt Festival tour!!!!

Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats....
Created To Complete
Designed, pieced and quilted by Terri Vanden Bosch --me
Size 36 X 48
Traditional and curved piecing, ruler work and freehand quilting, photo transfers, crystals,piped binding
Best Catagory--2 color, Art, Professionaly quilted

11 comments:

Mina said...

Love this, totaly creative!

Rachel said...

Very interesting. Every little bit seems to be well thought out.

Token Asian Friend said...

I love the fusion of the two! I don't know how you did your side, but it looks amazing!

CitricSugar said...

This is amazing! Love the colour choices and the way you blended two very different sides so harmoniously.

lizardcreekquilter said...

Thanks for the lovely comments!!
In regards to my side of the quilt. I drew the design on a full size piece of freezer paper, placed registration marks along the lines, cut the designs apart to use as templates. Similar to Ricky Timms Raphsody designs.
Great learning experience and so fun to do!!

Sandra said...

What a great memory quilt -- such a creative idea and wonderful execution of the design!

Come see my entries #23 antique zigzag and #46 repro tulip batik

MalinisQuilts said...

This quilt is amazing. It shows your creativity really well. Amazing pattern too!

Tiffany said...

This is so creative! A real treasure.

Dolly said...

What a great story.......and very inspiring, since my husband (of 36 years this December) and I are just as different as you've just described. And the quilting is just drool-inspiring ! I mean, wonderful !

tusen said...

Great piece, I love your explanation of it's meaning too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a fantastic representation of opposites attract and a real love story. Your quilt is beautiful and that curved piecing inspiring - do you appliqué your circles onto the quilt or do you piece them?