Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Quiltmakers Schoolhouse pattern tester...

As if I didn't have enough going on in my life--I answered a facebook request that the magazine Quiltmaker needed pattern testers. I sent in my photos and was selected as one of the eight testers. Too cool!!! Everything was supplied--right down to thread and postage!! All we had to do is cut, piece, quilt and bind the quilt--and if desired take any photos of the process.
We were given a list of preferred fabric choices and then the wait for the package...
Mine came in these warm country colors from Red Rooster--A year to crow about...
We were given the pattern and told to piece it how it worked best for us--the color placement was picked by Quiltmaker. I decided to strip piece the filmstrip portion --now that it is finished I am not sure if that was a speedier way or not--but that was my desicion at the time. Hence why all the scribbles on the pattern sheet--was figuring out how many whole or part strip set needed for each colorway.
Curious minds want to know why this happens??? Same fabric company--same collection--and yet the strips aren't even close to the same length!!!! Just wondering....
Since I cut the blue spacer strip on the lengthwise grain of the fabric there is little to no give in it--so I sewed with the strip pieced section on the bottom of the two. That way if there was a little extra in the filmstrip frame it could be eased into the correct size of the spacer strip.  Remeber the saying--Baggy to the Bottom and it will always work for you.
We were given "quilter's choice" option for the quilting. I chose to do an alternating direction spineless freehand feather in each block--working my way left to right across the frame and then right to left on the next row of blocks. Gives great texture and very quick and easy to do with a great custom feel to the quilting.
Finished product!! Overall this was a really fun experience and I highly recomend anybody to try it for themselves. The actual blog party for the magazine started yesterday--check it out at
Quilty Pleasures Blog to get the pattern.