Thursday, July 6, 2017

Island Ways are Winding...

Can you believe it is summer already!! I have been super busy sewing--but none of the projects can be shown yet!! Super excited about all the new adventures I am trying!!

The Ambassador theme for June was to use curves. Great opportunity again to try something new.

Earlier in June I went with a friend to Country Traditions in Fremont, Nebraska for a 4 day sewing retreat using the AccuQuilt cutting system. The teacher for the event was Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts. We used her Serendipity Qube to learn many new things.

There were 90 ladies at the retreat and yet Edyta tried to make it to see that we all were learning and having fun. I used some fun brights from my stash to make one block from each thing she taught and turned it into a collage type wall sampler. Can't wait to quilt this one.

While at the retreat we had access to the whole AccuQuilt library. I took this opportunity to--cut the letters for my sampler--and to use the Winding Ways die for my June assignment.

First, I used half strips from the strip stack to make some strip sets. I didn't do any math with this project--just sewed and cut. After pressing the seams open, I fan folded only three layers on the die--because you have to count the seam allowances as part of the 6 layers of fabric allowed in one cut.

How pretty is this!!! I just kept on sewing strip sets and cutting out pieces until my stacks looked big enough. Then I did the same with the blend yellow.

Once I returned home, it took a bit of figuring as I didn't have any instructions...


I found that sewing the pieces like the picture shows made for the easiest assembly.


It looks wrong...but it works!!


The die cut notches are just the best thing ever!! Also, there is a little bit of bias stretch to help around the curves.


Next up, how to quilt?? In all my years, I have never atttempted these continuous circles with the walking foot on my domestic machine. Well let me tell you---that is just too much fun!! Just start in the center and go. I really like how the quilting turned out. 


This color thread from Superior was the perfect match. I wanted the yellow fabric and thread to be pushed into the background on this project, so that the eye would be drawn to the multi colored sections. I think that was accomplished.


I don't have a plan for the finished project yet--so am just going to leave it unbound for now until more inspiration strikes.


Thanks again to Island Batik for these gorgeous fabrics to be inspired by!!!!


6 comments:

Barb said...

Love it!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great quilt!

Lynn said...

Just gorgeous and inspiring. Might have to give curves a go. Colours are beautiful and the quilting spot on.

cv writing service said...

what an excellent quilt. The stitching and finishing is so perfect that it does not look like a hand made quilt but a professional one. Great effort.

Julie said...

Love this quilt !!

bdieges said...

Curves are challenging, and I tend to stay away from them. Have to be brave I guess!