Friday, June 1, 2012

Under the Sea MQS 2012

Having never been to a quilt show that was just specifically for machine quilting, I didn't know what to expect--but after recieving an educational grant--I couldn't wait to find out. Mom and I set out down I-29 and 6 hours and 3 bathroom stops later we were at the Sheraton Hotel. What a great time I had in the classes--Claudia Pfeil, Deloa Jones, Dusty Farrel, Cathy Franks, and Judy Woodwarth--almost inspiration overload--but what a boost for my creativity!! I learned a little something new in every class and can't wait to try all the new designs out!!
Then came the quilt show--what a rush it was to see my quilts hanging in the same hall as some of the big names in quilting--WOW--what inspiration there was almost too much to take in. I didn't take any photos as I purchased the CD and that has many detail shots--probaly better than I would have taken.
But the highlight of the whole event was the ribbon ceremony. A complete rush to see a photo of your quilt come up on the big screen and then have the master of ceremonies say your name!!! Something I will never forget--and so happy that I could share this experience with my Mom!! She is not a quilter--but an amazing cheerleader!!

This quilt was in the Machine Embroidery catagory. I used Smith Street Designs for the applique blocks. Some of them I used fabric for the applique and some I did the colored pencil technique by Irena Blume. I digitized the words with my Art and Stitch software. Was a ton of fun to make and quilt. I called it "That new box of colors smell"--as that is a smell from my childhood that I have always loved and will never forget. This quilt recieved a 3rd place ribbon.
This quilt was in the Fabric Challenge catagory. We had a fat quarter of the light colored fabric and then had to do our best to showcase it. I used this opportunity to personally challenge myself to try something new. I have always wanted to try a Ricky Timms Rhapsody--and this seemed the perfect place to try. All I can say is that you could be seeing some more of this style--as it was way too much fun to see this one come to life. Another challenge I gave to myself was to digitize all the embroidery designs myself for this little gem. Again what a great learning experience. If any of you have wanted to try something like this--just take the plunge and go for it--you never know if you don't try. This quilt received a first place ribbon.

This was an amazing experince and so glad that I could share it with my Mom!!!

No comments: